Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Some thoughts on Ecuadorian 'drivers'



Every time I get in a car in Ecuador I take a huge deep breath and brace myself for an experience unlike any other. I am hesitant to say the word "drive" to ever describe what people do with cars here. I've yet to discover the verb one might use to describe this action, perhaps I will need to make one up. When I do I will inform you.

The common position on a steering wheel in the states is 10 and 2. Or some variation involving both hands somewhere on the outer rim of the wheel. Perhaps you prefer one hand but usually when turning both hands become available and grip the outer rim to successfully turn the vehicle into the closest lane going our same direction. The emphasis is that we make it into the lane closest to us.

In ecuador the first thing you should know about (insert new verb+ing here) a car is that one should always have one hand on the horn. This means the standard grip of choice is '10 and gripping the horn/hub of the steering wheel.' This position ensures that they can operate the horn every few minutes/seconds with ease. A honk can means many things: move faster, hey! you cut me off, I'm cutting you off!, I'm not stopping for you pedestrian, I'm passing you, I'm switching into your lane, and any other thought that pops into your head while (verb+ing).

Another important aspect of the road here in Ecuador is that lanes are just suggestions. There may be two lanes painted on the street, but there is definitely room for me to just (verb) down the middle occasionally since its easy to just drift side to side randomly.

You should also be aware that no Ecuadorian (verb+er) is aware of the actual size of their car. The car often changes sizes depending on what task it is performing. When stopping on a hill it in not necessary to leave more than 2 feet between you and the other cars (even though they are all manuals, and the hills are steeper than San Fran) because bumpers are meant to help each other keep from sliding back down the hill right? The car is much smaller when weaving in and out of the rest of the traffic in traffic circles and when you should definitely be the first one to go through the light, but had to stop 3 cars back. However every car has the turning radius of a semi-truck when trying take a right turn or when parking.

Finally, parking should always take at least 7 tries no matter how large or small the parking spot is. In addition, if a store is in the middle of a block on a busy street, the sidewalk provides a super convenient parking space. Just be sure to turn on your hazards. And no, it is not necessary to pull completely onto the sidewalk. Everyone can just go around. Besides, your hazards are on!

3 comments:

  1. Ha! I remember thinking these same thoughts when in Spain! Motorcycles and little cars always drove between the lanes! Brakes are non existent,the horn serves as warning ...... Africa and Asia are supposed to be even worse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing a humorous tale!

    ReplyDelete