Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Beginning

I don't have much to say.. but I figured I better start this sooner rather than later, if for no other reason than to make myself feel obligated to keep updating it this year. :)
After a great Northwest summer in Bend, full of fun memories and amazing people, I started my journey South to Quito, Ecuador. After a 13+ hour travel day, a busted up suitcase (thanks Delta!!) a very quiet cab ride (#languagebarrier) I made it to my wonderful Home-stay famila's house. We are practicing our communication skills and translating abilities right now which is going.. OK (whoops) My home-stay mother Maritza is going to be learning English while i am learning Spanish, so we have been relying on my sister Paola to fill in the gaps and help us learn/translate. It has been quite the comical scene this morning. Its only the first day so it can only get better from here! I am thankful that I am starting Spanish Class tomorrow to help speed up the process, and we have decided breakfast is going to be the perfect mini lessons for both Maritza and myself. My other home-stay sister Mary will be arriving tonight, and I look forward to meeting her! Maritza is a great cook, and judging by the amount of food we have already eaten today I will definitely be taking advantage of the gym in our building! (hopefully the altitude wont bee too much of an issue!)
Well, seeing as i have been here for barely a day, I will not make things up to say more, so hasta luego! We will be in touch!



No comments:

Post a Comment